Charges at rubbish tips including those introduced in West Sussex last year should be stopped, according to the Government’s new anti-littering strategy.
Since October residents have been charged £4 per bag or sheet to dispose of non-household waste such as soil, hard-core, DIY, and plasterboard at West Sussex County Council’s civic amenity sites.
At the same time hours of operation were reduced, while the majority of rubbish tips are now closed for two days a week as part of cost-cutting measures introduced by the Tory administration.
The Government’s anti-littering strategy published on Monday (April 10) includes plans to stop councils from charging for the disposal of DIY household waste as ‘legally household waste is supposed to be free to dispose of at such sites’.
Opposition parties including the Lib Dems, Labour and UKIP have all called on the charges to be scrapped since October.
Jim Deen, Labour’s county council election candidate for Worthing Pier, said: “We welcome the Government’s announcement of new measures to combat the menace of fly-tipping, but these measures will only have some effect in the Worthing area if West Sussex County Council listens to the instructions of its own Government.
“Environment Secretary Andrea Leadsom has told councils to end the ‘unfair’ practice of charging residents to use waste and recycling units.
“She says what Labour has been saying for the last few months, that charges are ‘a lead factor in the rise of fly-tipping’.”
He explained that Teville Gate in Worthing had been the latest target of fly tippers this week, adding: “Whilst it is…
click here to read more.