ARMED police are to remain on in place across Dorset this weekend despite the terror threat level being reduced.
Theresa May announced that troops will be gradually withdrawn from the streets from Monday onwards, having been drafted in to bolster police numbers in the wake of the Manchester bombing.
The terror threat level had been raised to the highest ”critical” level on Tuesday, but has now been reduced to ”severe” as police continue their investigation into the attack at Manchester Arena on Monday night.
In a statement on behalf of Dorset Police and Devon & Cornwall Police, Assistant Chief Constable Sharon Taylor, said: “As people will be aware, the Prime Minister has now reduced the national security threat level from critical to severe.
“However, she has also said that the additional resources given from the military will remain in place until midnight on Monday.
“Therefore, we will continue to maintain an overt firearms presence across Devon & Cornwall and Dorset during the bank holiday weekend, and as a result the public may see more officers out on the streets.
“We would like to remind people that they should remain alert, not alarmed, and to support us in keeping our region safe by keeping an eye out for anything that seems out of place, unusual or doesn’t seem to fit with day to day life.
“If anyone sees anything suspicious that they believe may be related to terrorism, they can report this to the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789321 or call 999.”
click here to read more.